What is 505050?

The idea is to use a 50mm lens to take one shot a day for 50 consecutive days. The images posted will be unmodified ... well, I'll convert them from RAW into JPEG, but that's all. Some images may benefit for a bit of a twiddle and they will appear either on my flickr pages or my blog. Have fun looking over my attempts and please make comments and offer encouragement to complete the 50 day project.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Shot #8

Still no shots taken by 5pm today and I was a little mystified as to what I was going to shoot.  I tried some images of trees at my workplace, but wasn't impressed, then when I got home most shots seemed "soft" rather than as crisp as I'd have liked.  Shooting with a wide aperture like f1.8 means it's easy to get things out of focus by a slight movement.  Much better to shoot with a tripod, but for some of the shots I was attempting - flowers in a hanging basket for example - my tripod just wasn't tall enough.  Arggh!

Somewhat frustrated with my hand held efforts I used a tripod to get the shot you see in this post.  This is much crisper than my handheld effort of the same scene, but a tad lacking in depth of field.  Not all of the nest is focussed, but it's an interesting shot nevertheless.

f1.8, 1/640sec, ISO 200, 50mm.

So, good use of a shallow depth of field?  Too shallow?  Comments, as always, are very welcome.

4 comments:

  1. I like it! Are you allowed to crop? This would take it from good to great. Cheers, SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like this one. The colour is soft, but I think it works well in this case. The composition is balanced and for me the shallow field of focus has suggested a "vibration", which seems to go well with the idea of an insect nest. Is this a bees' nest?
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. No cropping, image straight from the camera. No twiddles in camera, or in Photoshop type tools.

    I think the "vibration" is helped by the out of focus ladder ferns.

    Glad you liked the image though. Thank you:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, just take a look the first 9 shots and I like #8 most! By the way I'm Samuel, just in case you can't read my chinese name..!

    ReplyDelete