What is 505050?

The idea is to use a 50mm lens to take one shot a day for 50 consecutive days. The images posted will be unmodified ... well, I'll convert them from RAW into JPEG, but that's all. Some images may benefit for a bit of a twiddle and they will appear either on my flickr pages or my blog. Have fun looking over my attempts and please make comments and offer encouragement to complete the 50 day project.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Shot #26

I been quite taken with the idea of a long exposure as a way to get the idea of motion.  I've taken a couple of shots on the motorway, or on local roads where the lights of the cars blur into streaks and it looks pretty effective.  However, how to get a shot of things other than cars and their lights?  What about my son on his swing?  How to get the idea of motion without have just a blurred image? 

Well, that's the challenge!  I tried a few shots earlier today (some of you may have seen my first attempt?) and I decided I needed to use a flash to freeze the action at some point in my son's motion on the swing.  I tried all types of sync with the built in flash and really wasn't happy with the results.  I decided to wait for it to get darker.

Out came the old SunPak Autozoom 3600 Thyristor to be held by my daughter well away from camera. House lights were lit to illuminate the swing and the action started.  A few attempts were required to get the power of the flash right and I have to say the image you see here didn't in fact use the flash at all!  We'll play again, but not tonight.  The mosquitos are out in force.

Camera on a tripod, 50mm, f2.8, 1sec, ISO 200

2 comments:

  1. With the older professional cameras (on a tripod) and film you could do multiple exposure (at night) on one piece of film. I remember doing something with a group and we lined up multiple times outside a shop and made a duplicate lineup of ourselves. However, with digital, I don't see how to do this and imagine you might have to lay one image on top of another. I don't know if it would work, but maybe one with some flash and then another with no flash and a slower shutter speed to blur & juxtapose - or wait until it is nearly dark and do a time exposure and then a non-sychronized flash while open?? ...but is it possible to find a hand-held flash these days? Just me meandering. This sounds like a lot of potential enyoyment for the mosquitos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello mate... Second Curtain Flash Sync would give you the look you are after I would imagine... Check that out :)

    ReplyDelete