What is 505050?

The idea is to use a 50mm lens to take one shot a day for 50 consecutive days. The images posted will be unmodified ... well, I'll convert them from RAW into JPEG, but that's all. Some images may benefit for a bit of a twiddle and they will appear either on my flickr pages or my blog. Have fun looking over my attempts and please make comments and offer encouragement to complete the 50 day project.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Shot #14

Just happened to notice a monarch butterfly "fluttering" around the garden this afternoon and thought I might manage a shot for 505050.  I can't focus too close with my 50mm lens, I think it's about 45cm, and the butterfly seemed pretty "skittish".  Nevertheless I managed a shot when it landed on a hibiscus leaf.

Very strong sunlight and the background was a bit of a challenge!  The light colours you can see are in fact my work shirts which I definitely didn't want focussed.  Shallow depth of field, but not too much otherwise I'd get hardly any of the butterfly in focus.  The pose of the butterfly was quite nice too.  I have shots from the rear looking at its wings, but this image pleased me more.  Sort of a "ready for take off" type image.

Don't forget to click on the image then you'll get an enlargement of the picture.  You'll get a chance to appreciate how sharp the 50mm lens can be.  Let me know what you think.

Hand held, 50mm, f4, 1/2000sec, ISO 200

2 comments:

  1. Yah! Only 36 days to go. Keep up the good shooting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's showing off a very nice spotted body. Attractive texture.

    ReplyDelete