What is 505050?

The idea is to use a 50mm lens to take one shot a day for 50 consecutive days. The images posted will be unmodified ... well, I'll convert them from RAW into JPEG, but that's all. Some images may benefit for a bit of a twiddle and they will appear either on my flickr pages or my blog. Have fun looking over my attempts and please make comments and offer encouragement to complete the 50 day project.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Shot #10

I'm only ten shots into the project and already I'm finding the lens to be more of a telephoto than I expected.  Don't get me wrong, I like the lens.  It's just that most times I pick it up to shoot what I see isn't what I expected.  I suppose this is all part of learning about the lens so I should consider this a good thing.

On arrival home from work I noticed a rather pretty contrast between a bright red geranium and the darker green background of the trees and grass.  This would be a great shot I thought.  Shallowish depth of field to blur the background but not too much so that you could still pick out the deck chair.  There's also a Silver Birch tree trunk that I've tried to get on a golden mean.

The light was pretty harsh.  Very dark shadows and rather bright highlights.  I tackled this by bracketing the shot and then selecting the image that looked the best.  Remember I'm not allowing myself to crop or modify the image in camera or in post production.  The result is as you see to the left.

50mm lens, f5.6, 1/250sec, ISO 200

So, what do you think.  Pretty, or not?  Check out the HDR version of the same shot.  Which do you prefer?

2 comments:

  1. Pretty picture and nice bokeh! I prefer this to the HDR one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. Interesting. My mum (who doesn't really like HDR shots) prefers the HDR image.

    ReplyDelete