What is 505050?

The idea is to use a 50mm lens to take one shot a day for 50 consecutive days. The images posted will be unmodified ... well, I'll convert them from RAW into JPEG, but that's all. Some images may benefit for a bit of a twiddle and they will appear either on my flickr pages or my blog. Have fun looking over my attempts and please make comments and offer encouragement to complete the 50 day project.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Shot #3

I'm still shooting with the lens wide open and exploring the background blur (bokeh) the lens can offer.  I'm intrigued with any differences in blur as the distance from the focussed object changes.  Today it's been quite bright and sunny which made the metrosideros positively glow.  Getting in as close as possible to the flower helped decrease the depth of field so I could better see any differences in blur.  Honestly, I can't really see much!  However, I was pleasantly surprised with how sharp the image appears to say it was shot wide open with what must be Nikon's cheapest lens.  Click on the image below and you'll get an enlarged image.
As in previous images in 505050 this image was shot RAW then converted to JPEG using Nikon's NX2 without any modifications to contrast, brightness, saturation or image size via a crop.  Let me know what you think.

Image shot on 50mm lens at f1.8, 1/6400sec, ISO 200

3 comments:

  1. First, it's amazing rata/pohutukawa are still blooming at this time of year :-)

    Secondly, I like the right side of the image - just the right amount of bokeh. The stamens of the flowers are a little blurry though, merging into the background. A slightly different angle might change this? SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect a different aperture is needed as the depth of field is quite shallow at f1.8.

    If the weather's not too bad tomorrow I'll try again at f4 (or higher) and see if I can get more of the stamens in focus whilst keeping the rest of the plant out of focus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The composition is just about right I think. A nice weighting of reds and greens.

    ReplyDelete