What is 505050?

The idea is to use a 50mm lens to take one shot a day for 50 consecutive days. The images posted will be unmodified ... well, I'll convert them from RAW into JPEG, but that's all. Some images may benefit for a bit of a twiddle and they will appear either on my flickr pages or my blog. Have fun looking over my attempts and please make comments and offer encouragement to complete the 50 day project.

Friday, April 2, 2010

Shot #33

Not very inspired today I'm afraid.  For some reason I've been suffering from bad headaches again.  As such, looking at screens and squinting through viewfinders wasn't something I wanted to do.

I tried some shots by the front door where I noticed a vacated cicada "skin" on some grasses.  The 50mm lens doesn't let me get too close, but it's pretty sharp so I could crop to get closer ... but not in the 505050 project remember.

I'd decided this was the shot until just before my evening meal I noticed the sun on that hibiscus I shot previously.  The angles were a little different, the light wasn't as harsh and the angle of the light gave more texture to the petals.  Also the darker background really helped isolate the stamens.  There was also a rather nice highlight in the centre of the flower.  The light didn't last long as it happens, so I was pretty fortunate to catch it when I did.  Click in the image to get an enlarged view.

Hand held, 50mm lens, f4, 1/500sec, ISO 200

I've just added a new widget  - over there on the right ->  that'll allow you to get my daily 50mm shots in your email.  Please give it a try and let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I'm catching up with your project only now. I like the almost black background and the contrast the flower creates. If you're stuck, don't forget you still have the liquid amber up the sleeve.
    Happy Easter to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter to you and your family Ioana. I'm saving the liquid amber until I'm REALLY desperate! When you see liquid amber you'll know I've become really stuck for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete